|Inclusion Criteria:||1) Cytologic or histologic proof of adenocarcinoma of the pancreas is required prior to treatment. Patients can have tumor originating in any part of the pancreas. Islet cell tumors are not eligible. Only patients with non- metastatic, unresectable disease (AJCC 2002 stage T4 NX M0) are eligible. CT findings of lung, liver, peritoneal metastasis are equivocal, are eligible. Patients who cannot undergo resection because of underlying medical problems are also eligible. Diagnosis of Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma by bile duce brushings are acceptable. Patients with regional nodal disease are eligible.|
2) All patients must be staged with a physical exam, CXR, and contrast-enhanced helical thin-cut abdominal CT. Unresectability is defined by CT criteria: a) evidence of tumor extension to the celiac axis or superior mesenteric (SM) artery, or b) evidence on either CT or angiogram of occlusion of the SM vein or SM/ portal vein confluence. If a tumor does not meet this definition and is found to be unresectable at surgical exploration, then that tumor is considered unresectable.
3) Patients must be 18 years and older. There will be no upper age restriction
4) Karnofsky performance status greater than or equal to 70 are eligible.
5) Patients must either be not of child bearing potential or have a negative urine pregnancy test within 72 hours of treatment. Patients are considered not of child bearing potential if they are surgically sterile (they have undergone a hysterectomy, bilateral tubal ligation or bilateral oophorectomy) or they have been postmenopausal for at least 12 months.
6) Women of childbearing potential must agree to practice adequate contraception and to refrain from breast-feeding, as specified in the informed consent. Sexually active males must practice contraception during the study.
7) Bone marrow function: absolute neutrophil count (ANC) >1,500/ul. Platelets >100,000/ul.
8) Renal function: creatinine clearance >30 mL/min (calculated with Cockcroft-Gault equation).
9) Hepatic function: Total bilirubin less than 5mg/dL. If the patient required an endobiliary stent, the bilirubin level must have declined on consecutive measurements indicating adequate biliary decompression; alanine aminotransferase (ALT) less than or equal to 5 times the upper limit of normal.
10) Neurologic function: neuropathy (sensory) < CTC Grade 2.
11) Patients must sign a study-specific consent form, which is attached to this protocol.