|Inclusion Criteria:||1) Patients must have precursor-B or T-lymphoblastic leukemia or lymphoblastic lymphoma.|
2) Patients must be untreated or have had only one prior chemotherapy regimen for ALL or LL . Previously treated patients will be analyzed separately.
3) Age between 12 to 40 years old
4) Patients with CNS disease or testicular disease are eligible.
5) Intrathecal therapy with cytarabine is allowed prior to registration for patient convenience. This is usually done at the time of the diagnostic bone marrow or venous line placement to avoid a second lumbar puncture. Systemic chemotherapy must begin within 72 hours of the first intrathecal treatment.
6) Signed informed consent prior to the start of systemic therapy. In the event of enrollment of a minor patient, an attempt to obtain assent from the patient must be documented, and parental consent must be signed.
7) Echocardiogram should be done within 72 hours of starting therapy if there are cardiac risk factors (e.g., history of hypertension or of myocardial infarction)
8) Creatinine should be < 3 mg/dL bilirubin < 3 mg/dl unless felt to be due to disease
9) Zubrod Performance status of <3
10) Patients who received steroids more than 72 hours prior to study enrollment are eligible but will be analyzed separately