|Inclusion Criteria:||1) Patients with histologically proven melanoma with metastasis that is unresectable Stage III or Stage IV. This will include bulky stage III and M1-3. Patients with melanoma with documented metastases to the brain are eligible.|
2) Patients must have shown unequivocal evidence for tumor recurrence or progression and should have at least one indicator lesion, that can be measured in one dimension as >/=20mm with conventional techniques (CT, MRI, X-ray) or >/=10mm with spiral CT scan.
3) Patients may have had up to two prior cytotoxic chemotherapy regimens for their disease (immunological or targeted therapy e.g. vaccine, IL-2, B-RAF inhibitors, will not be considered prior cytotoxic chemotherapy). Patient should not have been treated with Docetaxel, Paclitaxel or other taxanes.
4) All patients must sign an informed consent indicating that they are aware of the investigational nature of this study in keeping with the policies of this hospital.
5) Patients must have a Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group status of </=2.
6) Patients must have recovered from the toxic effects of prior therapy: 4 weeks from prior cytotoxic therapy and/or at least two weeks from vincristine, 6 weeks from nitrosoureas, 3 weeks from procarbazine administration, and 1 week for non-cytotoxic agents, e.g., interferon, tamoxifen, thalidomide, cis-retinoic acid, etc. (radiosensitizer does not count). Any questions related to the definition of non-cytotoxic agents should be directed to the Study Chair.
7) Patients must have adequate bone marrow function (ANC >/= 1,500/mm3 and platelet count of >/= 100,000/mm3), adequate liver function (SGPT and SGOT </= 2.5 times normal, bilirubin </= 2 mg/dl), and adequate renal function (BUN and creatinine </=1.5 times institutional normal) prior to starting therapy.
8) TPI 287 may interfere with coumadin dosing and patients who are taking this combination will require monitoring of their PT, PTT and INR.
9) Females of childbearing potential (non-childbearing is defined as greater than one year post-menopausal or surgically sterilized) must use acceptable contraceptive methods (abstinence, intrauterine device, oral contraceptive or double barrier device), and must have a negative serum or urine pregnancy test within 7 days prior to beginning treatment on this trial. Sexually active men must also use acceptable contraceptive methods for the duration of time on study.
10) Patient should be 15 years of age or older