|Inclusion Criteria:||1) Able to understand and to provide written informed consent|
2) At least 60 years old and diagnosis of previously untreated AML subtype defined by the World Health Organization, except acute promyelocytic leukemia, who are unlikely to benefit from standard chemotherapy (defined as having one of the adverse prognostic factors in inclusion criterion no. 3): (a) must not have received prior therapy for AML including cytotoxic chemotherapy at any dose, antibody therapy, or other small molecule/targeted therapy, (b) may have received previous therapy for AHD (such as MDS), including azacytidine or decitabine, provided therapy was NOT given for treatment of AML
3) Must have at least one of the following adverse prognostic factors: (a) age greater than or equal to 70 years (b) antecedent hematologic disorder, (c) Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group performance status of 2, (d) intermediate or unfavorable (ie, adverse) karyotype defined as any cytogenetic profile except the presence of any of the following: (1) t(8;21)(q22;q22), (2) inv(16)(p13;q22)or t(16;16)(p13;q22), (3) t(15;17)(q22;q12) and variants
4) At least 20% blasts by BM biopsy or aspirate
5) Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group Performance Status score of 0, 1, or 2
6) Clinical laboratory values (based on local laboratory results) as follows: (a) Serum creatinine less than or equal to 1.5 times the upper limit of normal (ULN) or calculated creatinine clearance (CLCR) of greater than or equal to 50 mL/min, (b) Total bilirubin less than or equal to 1.5 x the upper limit of normal (ULN), unless due to Gilbert's syndrome, and (c) Aspartate aminotransferase (AST) and alkaline phosphatase less than or equal to 2.5 x ULN. Adequate cardiac function defined as a left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF) greater than or equal to 40% by MUGA/echocardiogram.